Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Fitting?

 Today instead of just showing off my office wear to you the lovely readers (all 3 of you), I have a serious question to put to you about how clothing should fit and what to do when it doesn't fit right?
I loved this skirt from the moment I saw it in Boden.  I patiently waited for it to go on sale, and when it was down around $35 I went for it with plans to wear it all year round depending on what I chose to pair it with!  Today I broke it out for the first time to wear in the winter and had a sad realization: it's too big!  Because I waited for it to be on sale, I had to buy a size 10 which is a size larger then I usually wear (at least at Boden).  But being someone who fluctuates between an 8 and a 10 I figured it was probably worth it!  The skirt has always been a little spacious on me, but now its downright too big.  And its not big in a way that makes me look small, but rather in a way that makes me look sloppy because my clothes don't fit properly.  Although this reflects well on my waistline (score one for HB), it brings up a sartorial dilemma: What do I do about my skirt?  Do I just wait with the acknowledgement that I may put back on the pounds?  Do I have it altered because I love this skirt and want to wear it?  Do I pass it on to one of my friends who is larger then me and could love this skirt the way it is meant to be loved?  I know, I know, these questions seem like I am whining about getting thinner, which is admittedly a good thing.  But I think its easier when you put on weight to keep your clothing that you think is now too tight because you rationalize the ill fitting clothing as a motivator to take off the pounds you have put on.  But when the tables are turned, what do you do?
Tons of space at the waist.

This skirt is a far cry from a pencil skirt with excess fabric everywhere.

1 comment:

  1. LOVELY!!! Usually if something is too large (and I cannot afford a tailor) I belt it higher on the waist and make it into a psuedo paperbag style skirt. Or I would take the extra fabric and pin it!

    ReplyDelete