Thursday, March 17, 2011

Why I LOVE Clothes!

IN GENERAL
I love clothes because they can change the way you feel and the way people see you. Clothes can, and often do, send a powerful message. They allow you on a visual level to tell the people around you who you are without speaking. The clothes you wear give your body a voice. I think it is important to give your body the voice you want it to see.

This is one of my strongest memories of when I first met PEP in 2005, she had style. Her look was her own and everything she wore communicated that. That is something that is still true today, and one of the reasons I wanted to blog with her about clothes. She is fearless and fashionable and true to herself. This is something she inspired in me that I remind myself of when I pick out my quirkiest outfits and wonder if people will judge me.

My clothes these days are dominated by the fact that I work in an office in downtown San Francisco. A few years ago I discovered that office wear does not have to be boring and conventional but it does still have to be appropriate. I love mixing my naturally funky style with more demure looks to create an office look that is not bland but does not give me the reputation for not being office appropriate. Some days are better then others.


TODAY
In my picture for this post I am wearing what I wore to the office on St. Patricks day. The dress is one of my favorite pieces of office wear. I got it at target last spring for almost nothing. Although it can be worn by itself or with a cardigan or blazer over it, this winter I have frequently worn it like a jumper (with a long sleeve shirt underneath). Today the under shirt was blue. I also wore my dark green tights in honor of St. Patricks day. I told myself that this outfit was okay because even though the shirt is a bright blue the tights are such a dark green they don't make you look like a child playing dress up. I also wore my favorite wedges, but since you can't see them very well, I'll post more about them later.

In so many ways the backdrop of this picture far outshines the outfit. It was taken on the San Francisco Embarcadero looking back at the Bay Bridge. Its supposed to rain again tomorrow, but today was just a reminder that spring is coming.

Brightly colore tights love! HB

1 comment:

  1. Awesome HB! I am so excited to see more!!! Also the wedges look amazing!

    ReplyDelete