Monday, June 20, 2011

A great older piece of fashion writing from me!

Back in the day, pre-fashion blog, I would write bits and pieces of fashion posts. The one I am adding here is about color in the winter. I think it is hilarious and only slightly helpful.

Can color survive an East Coast winter?
by patty pforte


Similar to jazz hands in an over-played musical, too much color can seem overwhelming, intense, dare I say tacky? Yet there are strong and defiant ways to wear color in the darkest hours of winter. If you think of your everyday stroll, color is everywhere - in the streetlights, the dusk and dawn, and hopefully on the ladies and gents around you. So should one fear color in the winter? My advice is an emphatic NO! There is nothing more exciting in my opinion than spotting a fuchsia coat across the street, a tomato red scarf wrapped around a warmed neck, or an intense plaid gracing the back of a small dog. There are many ways to wear color in the winter. If color is new to you, like riding a bike or baking a pie, than try brightly colored earrings or a great bracelet to express your colorful personality. Shoes can also express as much as any piece of your outfit. I have purple heels that I wear to work and they brighten up any work or going out outfit and get many complimentary compliments. For those going for more color in their lives try yellow tights with brown corduroy skirts, purple tights with gray skirts, or peeking out from under light to dark gray slacks. I am color obsessed so when I need a color boost I layer tights - green under purple, pink under purple, pink under blue, etc to have multiple colors shine through and bring surprise to walks to work or to a party. Finally when you need to brighten up even more think a great colored coat - jungle green, majestic purple, fuchsia plaid, sapphire blue, the list could go on forever. When I want to be bold I wear a bright coat with a red scarf and purple earrings to emphasize a coming spring. A great brightly hued top or bottom paired with a neutral (gray, tan, black, white) will not only get you noticed but will bring smiles to many chilled passer-bys. So embrace color from fall to summer!

Happy Dressing!

No comments:

Post a Comment