Sunday, May 15, 2011

My Bay to Breakers Hippie Day!



Today was the Bay to Breakers run in San Francisco. It was the 100th anniversary of this traditional race across the city of San Francisco. Over the years it has also become a city wide costume party. Groups of people tend to dress up in themed costumes to traipse across the city. Today, my friends and I dressed up as Hippies. Its on of my go to costumes. It was particularly good for today because it was supposed to rain today and it allowed me to put together a costume that would be warm and covered if need be. Because my outfit was rain appropriate, it was of course sunny and beautiful, so I am now totally sunburned.





Years ago when I was also dressing up as a hippie, my mom pulled up old pictures of the Beatles to show me what people really looked like in 60s, not just caricatures of people in the 60s.

For my hippie look I paired my flared jeans from Stormy Normy with my Frye cowboy boots. On top I wore a white top with an embroidered neckline. On top of this basic hippie outfit I put on a poncho (or at least that's what I think of them as). I actually love all these pieces, and generally try to be careful not to wear them all together lest I look like too much of a hippie. To finish off my look and make it unquestionable that I was a hippie, I put the scarf around my head.

Boots: Frye via Nordstrom, $175 (so worth it)
Jeans: American Eagle, gift from Stormy Normy
Shirt: J. Crew, over 5 years ago
Poncho: Gift from JK and her lovely mother!


Hope everybody had a good weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment